Wednesday 29 August 2012

Salute to Neil Armstrong - The First "Tourist" on the Moon

August 2012: Place Morny Deauville, France - US Flags at Half-Mast In Respect for the First Man on the Moon
"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."
 
I actually watched Neil Armstrong make that incredible step on TV in 1969.  As I did so I felt awed by the incredible feat that man had achieved.  Not being American I however embraced the moment as my own along with every other person on the planet who had ever dreampt of the possibility of man reaching the moon.  I was also, I have to admit, feeling a little smug as I watched that first foostep imprint itself on the Moon's surface.  Smug?  Well as a small schoolboy in shorts I had often been severely ribbed by my schoolfriends for claiming that man would land on the moon in our lifetime -  Had we had Twitter at the time I would have tweeted "Told you so!" to all my friends and thanked NASA and Neil Armstrong too.
 
Given the fact that in Armstrong's own words this was a seminal event for the whole of  Mankind, it's perhaps not surprising that on a sunny August day in Normandy the flags surrounding the fountains in Deauville's central  square were US flags which flew at half-mast for several days in respect for the passing of the world's first man to walk on the Moon. 
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment