Sunday 8 July 2012

M4 London End Closed until 12 July! Use the Tube for Heathrow


Last week-end I had a feeling I should use the M3 back home from Windsor Great Park instead of my usual M4 route.  I did not take the M3 and I also decided not to take a precautionary "pit stop" after tea .  BOTH  BIG MISTAKES!!!!

With absolutely no warning signs before getting onto the M4 at Junction 6 we immediately hit almost stationery traffic.  Not too unusual on a Sunday afternoon at 5 ish so we did not worry even tho the fuel was just on a quarter empty and there is fuel on the M4 after junction three (A312 Exit).   One hour and a half later it was obvious that three lanes were merging into a single just before exiting at J3.  Naturally the A312 was solid with confused and frustrated drivers particularly as there were no diversion signs to central London up at that stage.   By this time my amber fuel light was signalling the car needed a top up whilst I was in desperate need of emptying. 

Relief for the car eventually appeared 15 minutes later and fuel worries were over.  However, clearly car-fulls of ladies also had my problem and the queue for the loo at the petrol station was almost as long as the one on the M4.   I decided to chance it and finally arrived home having managed to drive and cross my legs at the same time.  Whilst not recommeded as a driving style its useful to know that in extremis it is possible to "hold on" even as a "mature" person - (which I undoubtedly am!)

I am currently avoiding exiting London on the M4 obviously, but suspect that Westbound traffic out of London will use the either the A4 M40 and the A316/M3 to link with the M25 and thence back onto the M4.  Hence, access roads to them will be hugely congested at rush hour times until after 12th July.......  Good luck if you are travelling via Heathrow - leave masses of time if going by road - I suggest tho', even it the tube is not your usual mode of transport, it is by far and away the safest option at present.

No comments:

Post a Comment