Tuesday 20 March 2012

Travel Expert Migrates from Cheapflights Newsblog

Just thought I should explain that this new travel blog is actually a continuation of my writing corporate comment press releases and newsblogs for Cheapflights Media over the past 9+ years. We are parting amicably but I shall now continue to comment and rant about travel industry issues, particularly those affecting aviation. Given the significant growth of the cruise industry I will now start commenting on news and issues there . Well, for example today (20 March) a collision beween a cruise ship and a container ship entering harbour i in Vietnam was reported. No injuries I'm pleased to say - apart from to the Captain's professional record and a few dents to the ship!
I will be populating this blog with some old posts as well as new ones obviously and will be linking to Facebook and Twitter as is usual these days. Meantime here's a little about me....
Why do I like travel? I got a taste for it early. My first trip abroad was to France aged seven. It gave me a taste for garlic, "cuisine-grandmere", wine, Brigitte Bardot (and her compatriotes) and an appreciation of French culture, which, I am glad to say, has continued to this day many, many years later.
A stint in the Royal Navy gave me the chance to visit places which at the time had no direct air access. Islands like the Seychelles, Lamu, Zanzibar, Pemba, Madagascar, the Comoros Islands and Mauritius not to mention the Cape Verde Islands. The Caribbean islands and the then British Guyana all added to my early tally of countries visited These were almost all off the tourist map except for the most adventurous – some still are. I was also fortunate to live in Kenya for a couple of years and folowed up having left the Navy with three years living in Tokyo.
Today, my travel requisites are for comfort and convenience rather than adventure. Hence, I favour Barbados, which I first visited in 1961. Tourism there has almost completely replaced sugar and rum (not the local Mount Gay Rum though!!). Hotels and services are now second to none but the island still retains that local buzz and character. Also, the weather is great for most of the year. Hurricanes usually oblige by swinging away from the island and only seriously visit once every ten years or so.
I will obviously try other destinations, but if you know what you like, trying another destination is taking a risk with your hard-earned holiday cash. I have pretty well done experimenting unless I have a really reliable recommendation. After all its good for the ego is it not when you are greeted on your return somewhere with recognition and a warm smile.??

7 comments:

  1. All the best on your blog. I'm sure you'll continue to keep the conversations going re: travel and travel inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa

      I will be broadening out from the purely CFM themes of Anti APD and EU ETS . Lots of fun things to blog on. Just posted one on Inflight connectivity - Lord save us!! Its bad enough with some kids screaming but passengers trying to shout down their neighbour also on their cell phone - the mind recoils!!!

      Delete
  2. Great experience that helps travelers and provides them a complete guide travel across the world and hope so for Cheap Flights to Lagos and other African destinations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to God that there are no injuries there. Hope you'll keep updating us about your travel blogs.
    Cheap flights to Lagos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grate work man, It will also be helpful for selection Cheap Flights to Ghana where wildlife cheers for tourists.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't carry to much thing while you are traveling in air line it will make your cheap flights into expensive by paying fine so keep your luggage lighter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If someone is traveling expert they must know that in Asia by offering cheap umrah packages they can generate more revenue and increase reliability among the pessengers.

    ReplyDelete